Tuesday, February 21, 2012

still very much alive.

I feel a bit guilty for keep deleting my older posts. Oh, well.

Anyway, during last year's school holiday, I was introduced to Hetalia, a web manga about personified countries through one of Cracked.com's article. So when I searched the interwebz for it, expecting some pretty offensive stuff since the article's author implied that the people behind Hetalia lacked human decency. 
So far, I'm not offended yet. And I'm watching the Funimation dub, which offended even some Hetalia fans. Either people are being way too sensitive or it's me who lack human decency. 
Pictured: Fangirls magnet.

rant/Although I can safely say that the writer's didn't do enough research when writing the article now that I've watched Hetalia myself. No, the part where the Allies surrounded the Axis wasn't the Normandy 
landings, it's actually part of a (somewhat annoying) running gag. And no, that's not the Soviet occupation of Latvia since that scene is located in modern day. And no, not everything is depicted as comedy, some events were depicted tragically,for example: The American Revolution, Bloody Sunday. AND THERE'S FEW EPISODES THAT WERE ACTUALLY SET DURING WORLD WAR II. RESEARCH, MAN. DO IT./rantend

Long story short, I got obsessed like any teenage girl would, tried to create an original character based on my country and did some research on its history. It's not only Malaysia's history I was researching. Sometimes I got side tracked and ended up on the French Revolution, the Cold War and many other stuff that they won't mention in Malaysian textbooks.

Never before have I seen anything that encourages tangential learning as much as Hetalia. I like tangential learning. I can gain knowledge without feeling it being shoved into my brain. Say what you want, but if it wasn't for Hetalia, I wouldn't be as historically and globally aware as I am now.

So... what's the point of this post again? Nothing. Now go watch 'Baccano!' or something while I go write some crappy fan fictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment